Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Mother's Instincts

It is a fine line of "Am I overreacting or only doing what I think my child needs and is best for them?  Do I wait out this cough or head straight to the doctor? What to do, What to do?"

In the middle of the night (last Wednesday) W started coughing enough to wake us all up and we had to give him a breathing treatment. Given his history we are guarded and probably overly cautious. I decided to just watch him on Thursday because it sounded like allergies. But...during the day it got worse. I didn't want to rush off to the doctor because the week before he said his ear hurt, only to be told his ears were crystal clear! Whoo Hooo! Don't get me wrong, I do not want him to be sick...I just know his typical "sickness cycles" by now and just like every mom try to avoid them. Every parents wants a well child all the time and we do what we can to prevent it! Amen Right?!?!

 Breathing treatment during the day

So Thursday when I called, I got an appointment for the next morning. I decided we really should wait until Friday so I called back. Our doctor was out of the office so we were seeing another Pediatrician and were the last appointment of the day. Sitting in the exam room he continued to get worse. I was relieved we went in that day. The doctor said he could hear our barking seal and walked in saying "He has croupe...poor guy!"
 Looking at all the cars in the parking lot.

 The medicine started working immediately and by the next morning he was much much better! So grateful for a fantastic pediatric office!!!




0 comments: