Sunday, February 10, 2013

The first two weeks were not as expected but..things are lookin' up!

Some of this probably will not be very interesting...I just want to document it! 
As I previously mentioned we arrived late on a Thursday and spent the weekend stalking the area as we typically do. We found Kroger, the hospital, Daniel's work (which we were scared of the facility upon first glance but he is actually the Director at a different facility..that is so much nicer!), looked at other RV parks, and spent time checking out  other areas of town. We made a trip to Beaumont (the big city lol) to hit up Sam's to stock up on a few essentials i.e. dog food.

Sunday we visited a church and upon first impression were not excited. It should be noted that this entire area flooded with Issac and many places either didn't renovate, are still in the process, or are selling and building a new location. The church was completely flooded and they  are holding services in the gym. We didn't know that when we walked in the main part of the church and it stank  of mold like nobody's business. I of course got a headache immediately. Then we attempted to put Wyatt in the nursery for the first time. Didn't go well. We always take him with us and sit in the back of the church in case we have to take him out. I have several special toys and books and he snacks on Goldfish and yogurt melts. Fifteen minutes into the service they came and got me and said he wasn't happy. He really wasn't that upset until he saw me. I stayed with him for about 10 minutes and he wouldn't let go. I cringed as I saw him stick several balls in his mouth. (Believe me, I know this is normal although I could tell they weren't really clean.) So after a few minutes of chatting with the sweet ladies in his room I decided to take him with me back into the service. He was fine and sat and played like a good boy.

 That said and this could be a total fluke and combined with the cough he had in Austin...I know kids catch anything...Tuesday at about 3am he woke up so incredibly congested.  (Side note to add that a horrible random pediatrician we saw in Austin completely dismissed us when we asked about a random cough that started. It did go away when we left but he just brushed us off when we asked him to listen just be safe since we were moving. Grr) (Another side note...I will always go with my mama instinct as far as, something doesn't seem right and a feeling about a doctor! Ok enough of a rant! But for real...we do know best because the mama guilt...whew!) I did get him back to sleep and  he was a snotty mess all day. That afternoon he started coughing but didn't act like he felt bad. (I had talked to a few friends and family on the phone and told them if he started feeling bad I was going to take him in as his cough started sounding rough) Poor baby didn't sleep at all on Tues night.  I called first thing in the morning over 25 pediatricians in all the surrounding cities and NONE of them were accepting new patients due to the flu season. Luckily, someone Daniel works with told him about an Urgent Care about  25 miles away that took little ones and off we went Wed morning. After about four 4 hrs we were transferred via ambulance to the ER where we were until almost 5pm. He had low Pulse Ox levels and respiration with a high heart rate. They said when we arrived at the Urgent Care he was in Respiratory distress. It wasn't fun. Long story short..no flu, no RSV, no pneumonia,  the end result after about 8 x-rays, many many  many, tests and 4 breathing treatments- Croup and Bronchitis with double ear infections.   We had an amazing doctor and if we need care and are able to make the trip we will go back to that hospital or Urgent Care clinic. After that day I was spent...I know many many people go through  horrible emergencies but having to hold your child down during tests and x-rays is not fun! (I can't imagine what some parents and babies go through and it really makes me count my blessings!)
I had packed a backpack as I knew we might be gone awhile at Urgent Care. However, the trip to the ER threw me and the backpack was in my car. Luckily I had put a cup, some snacks, a book and a diaper in my purse.  Of course my charger was in the backpack so my phone died, extra clothes, his shoes etc. Then on top of this Daniel had to leave work and drive over to pick us up to take me to my car. We are incredibly blessed to have a healthy boy and that Daniel's  work was so understanding and willing to let him do what he needed to do. While we waited for daddy, poor baby was starving when he started feeling better and the #1 mom that I am, I got him a cup of fruit and a special cookie in the snack area of the hospital. He deserved it..mama deserved it!He was feeling so much better that evening and the next day however, mama was still spent.

Not feeling well, in the ER and then wait am I sick. Let me play in a box!
As soon as Wyatt started feeling better of course Daniel got sick. Really..why does that always happen? We decided if everyone was well by Sunday we would go the Mardi Graus Parade. I am so glad everyone was better and we went. It was a lot of fun and the town puts on a great parade. We heard from many people that it really wasn't as large as the other parades in bigger cities but for us it was perfect. We got lots of beads not even trying. Wyatt enjoyed dancing and clapping. What more can you ask for?

 

 Daniel is back full swing in the MBA program. He is taking a heck of a financial analysis course and we both can't wait for it to be over..yet he just began the class! HA! I keep telling him it is ok to be frustrated, we moved, he started a new job, and is now in the hardest class of the MBA program so he can be stressed.
In other fun news, little man and I have been getting out as much as possible. We made a trip to the library for the first time ever this week. He was all about it! Lots of room to roam!
We found a fantastic park with a huge castle. It is on the river and absolutely amazing! LOVE!


I mean really. I want to climb all through this as well!


 In other big news- Two weekends ago, Wyatt also finally took several unassisted steps. He has been walking along things and cruising for many many many months but would not let go and take more than 2 steps at once. For months, he has been pushing toys and walking behind them, holding our hands, and holding onto our pants legs. We have been working with him however, he wouldn't do it on his own. He finally decided it was time! We squealed with joy! He has done it several times since but isn't completely consistent doing it full time. He will stand up in the middle of them room and take 4 steps, clap, laugh and drop down and crawl as fast as possible. Obviously he can walk and (in many doctors words is incredibly strong)...our space is so small he doesn't need to! LOL! He is walking more and more outside just barely holding onto our hands so we know he is getting good practice. It just a huge step for us and I wanted to remember it!(This is just another lesson in each kid is different and will in their own time.)


Nannie and Papa sent little dude a super cute hat. He is quite the fan...

On a side note...besides Wyatt, Daniel and the dogs, I am keeping busy with clients. Several people took a break with the holidays and are now back. I have to toot their horn (you know you love to read the blog:) as you are all doing FANTASTIC and regardless of your goal :compete in your first race, finish a longer race, faster time, loose weight, gain muscle, keep fit while pregnant, or just continued overall health..you guys amaze me every day! Yes you know that I think you are a Rock-star! Remember:the goal is keep moving even if for just a few minutes a day. It is heart month ladies so park out just a little further, walk down one more isle, half that regular pasta with some whole wheat or high fiber (you won't notice), select fat-free, 1% fat, and low-fat dairy products, limit your salt intake, and do a few squats during a the commercial break. All easy tips to make your heart healthier!

Well, I think that about catches you up. It rained this weekend so we skipped out on the parade we were planning to attend. We decided against standing in the rain! HA!
We can't wait to continue exploring the area and experiencing all that is has to offer. Now that I am caught up, I am ready to blog more frequently!

Hope all is well with each of you!

0 comments: