Tuesday, February 26, 2013

MOPS and a first for us..

FYI I started writing this on  2-19. Daniel is taking the computer to work so it makes it very hard for me to find time to blog! :)

So since we travel full-time and please don't gasp but...we have never had a "play date." Yeah I know. It is not that I didn't try... Ok- I guess I should clarify like one that was scheduled to be a playdate with a group. Of course we have played with lots of babies: Andrea's, Reb's, Jill's, Jenn's, Shani's, Victoria's, and all of the cousins. (So I guess we have!) LOL!

Anyway, Daniel came home last week and said that he saw in the paper an add for a MOPS group. I got so excited I started jumping up and down. I called the next day for information and found out that the next meeting was on Tuesday. The lady in charge was increadibly nice and expalained the organizaiton as well as, what the moms do and what the babies do. It sounded like a lot of fun. The moms have time to hang out and on meeting days the babies play under the supervision of fantatic childcare volunteers.

All ready to go!
 
I was worried how Wyatt would do from our previous experience of trying to leave him in a childcare situation. He.blew.me.away and I am not sure if I have ever been so proud of him! (Probably jinxing myself here!) We walked in and a few people tried to hold him while I filled out the paperwork. He wasn't having it. I got a nervous feeling my stomach...as I check the appropriate boxes and wrote a brief note about his favorite things and his stuffed monkey. We walked in the nursery/2 and under room. He started to get a little nervous and then I saw "the amazing car" on the floor. I handed it to Wyatt and he was so excited! (This kid loves cars, tractors, trains, etc). I could tell at this point I still needed something else for him to play with. One of the workers said they had a play kitchen across the room...We have a winner. I walked him across the room and showed him how to open close the doors, turn dials etc and he was in heaven. He put is car in the oven opened and closed the doors. I hugged him and quickly walked away! He was so happy and when I looked back from the door (with tears in my eyes) I knew that more than anything this was going to be great for him (and for me).

When the meeting was over as I walked back down the hall I heard a kiddo crying and it made me nervous. I could tell it wasn't mine however, still I walked a little faster as I approached the door to his room then... I saw W asleep in a stroller holding onto his monkey. I immediately broke out in a huge smile as I knew he had to be comfortable! (I didn't want for him to be miserable the entire time and for the sweet childcare workers to be miserable with him crying.) He was starting to wake up and they quickly told me he had fun, played, had a snack, and then started getting fussy. They said they walked him up and down the hall and he fell asleep. It didn't surprise me at all because that is his schedule! (play, play, play if late nap fussy... small snack and then he is out) LOL! They said he was a happy guy. Of course as soon as he saw me, he got upset so I picked him up and he was all smiles!

We quickly ran a few errands, came home for lunch, and W went down for a long nap. He woke up recharged and mama had a nice long break!  (It is amazing what a few hours can do for you!)

After nap playing outside and a "naak" in his "kar"
And as for me....well, I enjoyed the meeting and having some fun time with the other moms. We  talked, reflected, laughed, etc. I am already looking forward to the next meeting or seeing the other mama's as playdates arise.

And since I am now posting this a week later...we have been around our new friends a few times and have had fun! Hopefully I can blog about those soon!
 

0 comments: