Saturday, August 11, 2012

4th of July and The much anticipated trip to the coast..for fishing?!?

Last year I remember the anticipation of the 4th. Would I go into labor? Do the fireworks really start at 10-10:30 pm? Were we going to go watch with the rest of the city, etc?  We have great memories of sitting in the back of the Sequoia just outside the official park and being perfectly happy. This year Daniel had to work, so Wyatt and I waited for him to come home before heading to the pool. He got off work early and we had plenty of time for a wagon ride, pool time, grilling, practice jumping for Hershey, and a few fireworks before Wyatt fell asleep from exhaustion. He wasn't bothered by the fireworks and even slept through them. Fantastic as they were, I didn't want them all around us. This year I had no idea what to expect but it worked out perfectly. Nothing big but fantastic! 
Watching Hershey jump is so much fun!




Dad- I wanna be a Junior Handler!

Lets do this..

Every since our trip to Cabo..which seems like it was just last summer, but we all know it wasn't since Jill and I both have kiddos now..Daniel hasn't stopped talking about deep sea fishing. He was in school during our trip to Cabo and I decided that for his graduation we would either got to LA to see Chelsey Handler (his girlfriend) or go deep sea fishing. Logistically, LA just wouldn't work. I couldn't plan a trip in advance for airline as well as show tickets not knowing where we would be living.  Let alone who would watch little guy?!?! Several people had suggestions on how the LA trip could work  but honestly, in reality we were working around my mom being out for the summer, our location, and time frames. I decided ultimately that trip could be put off and deep sea fishing was a much better option for our current travel situation. Daniel wanted my dad to go as well, so we waited to set up the trip until summer.

My parents got into town on Friday and we quickly headed to Port Aransas. We had both been to Port A before but never considered it a vacation destination...wrong it is! Made apparent by the fact that a hotel room was extremely hard to find! Anyway, I ended up finding a place across the street from the fishing docks and it worked out great.  When we arrived in town, we had to take the ferry to get onto the actual island. I was excited for Wyatt, then I found out that point my dad had not ever been on a ferry. I started thinking about it..when would he have..you really don't ride on ferries that much. So he and Wyatt both rode on a ferry for the first time! Memories! We got in pretty late and went to bed. The guys had to be at the docks by 6am. We were lucky to relive our honeymoon nightmare of Daniel setting his alarm to pm instead of am. I am not sure if he woke up or I did..but I quickly woke up my parents we were out of the room by 5:45. As a result of arriving so late we didn't really locate the dock, so I drove them to the wrong area but fixed my mistake in a matter of a few minutes. They arrived in plenty of time and just like the hotel website claimed the docks are directly across the street..hahahhahha! No need to drive!

I went back to the room and slept until Wyatt woke me up (which was way later than normal and I didn't mind!) We headed for breakfast with my mom and then got ready for the day. We walked around, had lunch, walked along the docks and then it was time for Wyatt to take a nap. It was super hot so we headed back to the room and snoozed as well.

Soon Daniel was texting me saying to meet him at the docks with the ice chest. I knew that had to be a good sign. The guys had a great time, caught their limit, and threw several fish back. My dad caught a huge snapper. Daniel got some great pictures.





Amazing catch!





 We met the guys at the docks when they arrived back. I could not believe all the fish they caught! It was amazing. They had a great time and it was apparent just listening to them talk about the 9 hr trip. We stayed around while the claiming process happened as well as the weighing and picture taking occurred.
 
Telling us all about it!


Amazing - 9hr trip!- Daddy's is the big one hanging in the middle!

The fishermen



 
Look at those guns..I meat fish!

Pretty sure he missed Wyatt while fishing. It was so hot they were making sure he stayed cool!

Later in the afternoon/evening after naps we headed to the beach to let Wyatt play in the sand. I am certain he enjoyed riding in the wagon  and having fun with his Nannie and PaPa. They both put their feet in the Gulf and dug their toes in the sand. We found a fantastic seafood restaurant (Kody's!) That definitely met up to the expectations we had of coast seafood. It was delicious! We headed back to the room where we all crashed early. Even fell asleep during SNL monologue..sad sad day! HA! The next day we slept in and enjoyed a late morning on the beach. It was hot and this time Wyatt was not a big fan of the sand. I think it was because he got overheated waiting on Daniel and I to set up our sunshade for him to play. Poor thing..mama and daddy will get this new shade down at some point! We were glad Nannie was with him to build sandcastles. She also kept him shaded using our backpacks, towels, wagon, etc until we got things set up! HA! He really enjoyed the ocean more on Sunday. We took turns taking him out into the water and letting him "stand" in the shallow waves. We stayed for about an hour and half and it was time to head back and pack up.





 Our friends Luther and Victoria graciously invited us over for lunch at their house in Aransas Pass.They had prepared an amazing lunch and completely outdid themselves. We had not seen them since we were both stationed in Omaha four years ago for work.We enjoyed getting to see their house that we had heard all about during the building process. They also had a baby girl this past year and we met Liliana for the first time. She is absolutely adorable and we had so much fun watching the kiddos play! L and V -  we really enjoyed seeing you guys and hope to again before we leave the area. They still travel so who knows..someday we may end up together again. They are very warming and welcomed my parents into their home as if they had know them forever..such amazing friends!
We headed home later than evening as Daniel had to work on Monday. While driving we heard what sounded like a shotgun and noticed that the passenger window had shattered on the truck, The only thing we could think of is that we were passing a flatbed hauling semi and something must of fallen off the bed. Luckily the windows were tinted so the window didn't shatter in completely. We were able to make it back home safely and got the window fix the next day. Just another freak thing that can happen and we know we were extremely lucky. My poor dad was sitting in the passenger seat and as it would..it scared him to death! Glad he was ok! 



Wrapping up the trip to the coast  in word...according to Daniel  - FUN! I know my dad is still dreaming about deep sea fishing. He can't stop talking about it and if you know him...that's a big deal! He has said how many times he had so much fun and really wants to go again. I know we will make this happen. It makes my heart explode with joy knowing that Daniel and my dad have such common interests and they have and will continue to make memories and one day Wyatt will become part of those! (I secretly hope we can go again very soon and my dad will come back!) :) Well..I guess its not a secret anymore! I love the relationship they have and I know that it isn't common..I am one lucky girl!

My parents stayed the rest of the week with us. They played and played with Wyatt and Daniel and I were both happy they were visiting. It was rainy and I had a few days where I could not have been more thankful to have them with us. Yucky migraines. We also had some yummy fresh fish dinners from the guys coast catch! Mama was  able to help me a lot by going with me to finish up the shopping  for Wyatt's birthday party. Its tricky to shop and think with an active kiddo! Plus we have no place to store things, so I had to wait to buy decorating and general supplies until we were able to take it to Austin. We were going the next weekend for Connor's birthday party so I made a list, loaded up, made a game plan, and was able to drop everything off at Daniel's parents house. I also owe a hug thank you to my mom for continuing to stoke our creative minds when everywhere we went was out of green tissue paper. It.was.key.to.the.party! You shall see!!! My parents followed us to Austin..up next Connor's party!

0 comments: